How counselling can help with anger issues
Counselling can help you learn how to handle anger effectively. You will learn to recognise your anger triggers, understand deeper emotions beneath the anger, and how to express anger constructively, in a more healthy way.
What are anger issues?
Anger is a natural human emotion. In fact, anger is a valid emotion, one that doesn’t always have to be negative and harmful. It can have bad or good outcomes, depending on how you handle it.
When it gets out of control it can cause problems in relationships, work, health and overall happiness.
Learning to express your anger constructively can significantly improve self-confidence, bring harmony to relationships and increase personal happiness.
What are the signs of anger issues?
You may notice the following emotional symptoms before, during, or after an episode of anger such as:
- feeling overwhelmed
What are typical forms of anger?
Anger can be experienced in different forms, from mild irritation to uncontrollable rage. Some anger issues include the following:
- Angry verbal outbursts or rages which cause hurt and escalate problems
- Non-verbal anger where silent treatment is employed because communication is too difficult
- Repressed anger, when anger is turned inwards towards yourself and can contribute to depression or anxiety
- Passive aggressive anger, where anger is communicated indirectly, for example via sarcasm, gossip or “humour”
- “irrational” anger, when small things that don’t appear to warrant strong anger yet cause intense angry feelings or explosive outbursts
- Domestic violence and controlling behaviour
How many counselling sessions do you need help with anger issues?
Most counselling sessions take place once per week and last for 50 minutes. You can have as few or as many sessions you need, but it’s good to remember that at least 6 sessions are beneficial to allow time to build rapport and trust your counsellor so you can open up more freely and make good progress.
How therapy and tools can help with anger management
Whilst we cannot control anger provoking situations, I focus on helping you understand where your anger comes from, how it is triggered, helping you with emotional fitness (so you are able to control and understand your emotions and have the resilience to deal with the negative ones), helping you to communicate your anger more effectively in your relationships.
Anger therapy can help you:
- Learn to recognise triggers which ignite your anger and how to manage them effectively
- Discover strategies which can de-escalate physically intense anger so you don’t become overwhelmed and lose control
- Develop coping strategies to manage anger provoking situations
- Learn how to identify and create conditions which make it easier for you to successfully address situations which irritate, upset or anger you
- Learn communication techniques which enable you to achieve constructive outcomes
- Learn how old habits contribute to problem/anger escalation and how to replace them with strategies which give you positive results
- Learn how constructive expression of anger can build self-confidence, enrich relationships and contribute to success at work.
How much does counselling for anger issues cost?
Exploratory 30-min session: Free
Further sessions (50-minutes) £55 via video call online or telephone, block bookings of 6 sessions £50, for face-to-face sessions, please add £15 per session (concessions may be offered for clients with proof of claiming benefits and student counsellors – enquire for details)
If you’d like to sign up for a FREE exploratory session with Ann-Marie at Reset Mind, simply SMS MESSAGE ME on 07526185959 OR complete the form below to arrange your first session.