How can counselling help with stress?
Many of life’s demands can bring on stress, particularly work, relationships and money problems. As humans, we actually thrive on a balanced amount of stress. It generates a chemistry in our body which motivates us to manage challenges and work towards our goals. When stress exceeds healthy levels, it can seriously undermine our happiness and wellbeing. Too much stress, can cause problems at work, in relationships and even lead to physical illness.
Successful stress management requires knowing how to control the stress factors, in your life. At Reset Mind, I can help you develop the tools you need, to feel confident and in control, no matter what stress you face. I can teach you step-by-step techniques that minimise the impact of stress in your day-to-day life and develop skills to prevent excessive stress from recurring in the future.
What is stress?
One-off events such as the death of someone close, a relationship ending or moving house can cause a sudden rush of stress. Stress causes your body to release a surge of hormones, often referred to as the “fight or flight” response. This chemistry is designed to enable you deal with pressure or threats. Once the event has passed your hormone levels usually return to normal. However, if you are dealing with constant stress, these hormones remain in your body and lead to symptoms of stress and can cause long term health issues.
What are typical signs of stress?
The effects of stress will often resolve themselves when you have dealt with the causes of stress and worked out strategies for managing it. You may need treatment for the signs of stress alongside counselling.
- Excessive worry
- Sleep problems
- Difficulty concentrating / focusing
- Loss of appetite / indigestion
- Heart burn
- Muscle tension / muscle twitching
- Drinking more
What are typical causes of stress?
- Work pressures
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Relationship problems
- Family worries
- Illness / physical problems
- Bereavement or loss
- Difficulty coping
- Using alcohol or drugs as coping mechanisms
- Angry outbursts
- Loneliness / withdrawal
Therapy and tools to help with managing stress
At Reset Mind, I use a combination of counselling techniques, mixed with psychotherapy and CBT strategies to help you manage stress fast. I teach you step-by-step techniques that minimise the impact of stress in your day-to-day life and develop skills to prevent excessive stress from recurring in the future. I will help you to:
- Understand the factors that cause your stress to exceed comfortable levels and what you can do to stop this happening in future
- Discover how to replace uncomfortable physiological symptoms of stress with confidence, ease and control
- Learn why you may feel stressed or anxious (when others don’t) and steps you can take to change this
- Discover simple strategies you can use to tackle stress situations and feel more calm and in control
- Learn how you can prevent stressful situations from escalating or recurring
- Discover how to create balance in your life, which reduces stress and creates more happiness and contentment in your days.
- Discover how to remove the roots of particular stress responses, commonly developed in childhood and adolescence
How many sessions do I need to help with my stress?
Most counselling sessions take place once per week and last for 50 minutes. At Reset Mind, you can have as few or as many sessions you need, but it’s good to remember that at least 6 sessions are beneficial to allow time to build rapport and trust your counsellor so you can open up more freely and make good progress.
How much does stress counselling cost?
Exploratory 30-min session: Free
Further sessions (50-minutes) £55 via video call online or telephone, block bookings of 6 sessions £50, for face-to-face sessions, please add £15 per session (concessions may be offered for clients with proof of claiming benefits and student counsellors – enquire for details)
If you’d like help with stress, sign-up for a FREE exploratory session with Ann-Marie at Reset Mind, simply SMS MESSAGE ME on 07526185959 OR complete the form below to arrange your first session.