What is couples counselling?
Couples counselling is a type of therapy for two intimate partners where both partners would attend sessions together. If you are thinking of attending alone, then please indicate this on the
Couples often seek help when an unexpected crisis happens such as infidelity, financial issues, a family trauma, a major life change or a desire to relate better to one another or work out the future. Often there’s a wish to understand each other better and strengthen the relationship. It can also help at crisis point to resolve whether to stay together or separate. The key is the motivation and willingness of both partners to work on the relationship together.
How long does couples counselling take to work?
Some couples only need a couple of sessions, others may require 6 or more. We will monitor progress session by session and together we will decide how many sessions you might need.
What happens in a couples counselling session?
There will be three of you in the room (online or a three-way telephone call), with your counsellor, who will help you explore the concerns and work with you to understand what you both want and need individually and from the relationship, and want the outcome to be. Together we might explore:
- what works in your relationship
- the ways you appreciate each other
- having equal space to express your thoughts and feelings
- how your individual pasts and past together might be impacting the present
- identifying problems and behaviours that are impacting the relationship
- contextual factors (family, faith, lifestyle, culture, etc.)
- your individual needs and wants for the relationship as a couple
- what you’d like to commit to, not how you want your partner to change
- learning new effective ways to communicate and navigate conflict
- caring for yourself and each other
What can couples counselling help with?
- Affairs and betrayal
- Poor communication
- Lack of trust
- Differing values and goals
- Differing parenting styles
- Gender role conflict
- Wider family conflicts
- Life changes such as empty nest, bereavement, illness
- Sexual issues
- Emotional intimacy issues
- Financial issues
- Work-related difficulties
- Religion or politics
How much does couples counselling cost?
Exploratory 30-min session: Free
For individual relationship counselling – Further sessions (50-minutes) £55 via video call online or telephone, block bookings of 6 sessions £50, for face-to-face sessions, please add £15 per session (concessions may be offered for clients with proof of claiming benefits and student counsellors – enquire for details)
For couples relationship counselling – Further sessions (50-minutes) £65 via video call online or telephone, block bookings of 6 x 50-minute sessions £60, for face-to-face sessions, please add £15 per session.
If you’d like to sign up for a FREE exploratory session with Ann-Marie at Reset Mind, simply SMS MESSAGE ME on 07526185959 OR complete the form below to arrange your first session.